Ever noticed black or greenish patches on your bathroom walls, tiles, or in the kitchen? Those could be mold or mildew growing in your home that is absolutely harmful to our health. Many homeowners are facing the same problem as you are, which is battling mold and mildew. Can you tell the difference between mold and mildew? If you’re unsure, fret not, we will explain more in this article as well as tips on ways to perform mold cleaning in your homes!
Mold and mildew are 2 types of fungi that you can find in your home. They both thrive in moist environments such as the bathroom, the sinks, the kitchen area and anywhere there’s water involved. They spread easily to other parts and stay on moist surfaces which makes it difficult to clean and get rid of them.
Wondering what they look like? Mold comes in the form of black and greenish patches that are slimy in appearance, which can grow beneath the surface of the affected material. This fungus is much harder to get rid of compared to mildew. Mildew is generally white or greyish that appears powdery, grows on surfaces and remains there so it’s easier to clean.
There are many types of mold as well as mildew and if they are left untreated, these harmful fungi can affect your health. Breathing in these harmful microorganisms can lead to breathing difficulties and even asthma in some people. Now, we don’t want that, do we? Don’t ignore them! It’s always best to have them removed before they spread! Here are some tips on how you can remove mold and mildew from your home!
1. Identify the source
It’s always good to find out the source first so that you’ll be able to tackle the problem. Mold ain’t easy to get rid so it’s best to know why it’s happening and why the growth isn’t stopping! For instance, there seems to be the growth of these fungi in your bathroom. It could probably be because the bathroom is constantly damp and you can do something to help with the dampness.
2. Find out where are the growth
This fungus is not difficult to identify and not difficult to find. They could be literally anywhere visible like the walls or tiles. At first, it can be a small patch, if not treated, it can spread and end up being a big patch on your bathroom walls! It’s not a pleasant sight and definitely not something you want to breathe in while you take a shower.
3. Get rid of affected goods
If you find mold growing on your curtains or carpets, throw them away! You can try cleaning them but chances are they will return!
4. Gear up
When you find a small growth that you want to deal with on your own, you got to gear up! You don’t want any respiratory issues happening to you once you’re done with removing them. What you can do is use an N-95 face mask to prevent inhaling the spores and a pair of rubber gloves to avoid any skin irritations by chemicals getting onto your skin while you clean them.
5. Use the right products
Mold and mildew though they both fungi, both respond to different treatments and products. Finding the right products could take some time as not everything works the same way. There are some mold and mildew cleaning products in the market that you can find.
6. Clean them using bleach
Handling a small patch isn’t a problem when you want to do it DIY style. All you need is regular bleach and water that can effectively get rid of the harmful fungi. Make a solution of 3 parts water and 1 part bleach, this can be a powerful agent against mold and mildew. If you find a huge patch of growth, you might want to call the experts to get rid of them. Cleaning big patches of fungi is no joke! You may need more powerful cleaning agents to help kill them off.
7. Scrub and wipe affected areas
Spray the product on affected areas and allow some time for it to penetrate the fungi. Don’t forget to read the instructions carefully so as to not damage the areas. Some products can only be used on tiles and some on walls, so be sure to read and follow the instructions. If you’re not too sure, you can try it on a small area first to see if there’s any discoloration.
Tackling mold and mildew problems on your own can be challenging as it is not easy to maintain or completely get rid of them. Remember that these fungi can grow if they’re not taken care of properly. It’s always a good idea to call for professional help to get rid of these harmful microorganisms! Hire a professional cleaning services Puchong by Made4u and you will not have to worry about breathing in these harmful things again.